Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Gravity

So today in Susannah's class was the second week where she gave us each a word and told us to go out and, "Shoot our word." Last week, I received the word "Harmony," and this week I received the word "Gravity." When I received this word, I thought in my head, come on! Really?! But after I got outside, I saw a trash dumpster, and I took a picture with the dumpster at the bottom of the image to make it seem that the dumpster is weighing-down the image. This also gave me another revelation. I would shoot, for my word "Gravity," how big of an issue our trash and wast problem is in this country. This brings me to this image you see before you. My friend Jamie and I were walking in an ally behind the LaQuinta Inn, behind Madison Street, and I saw a row of these cardboard boxes flattened and all tied up. I thought this was a rather interesting picture, so I shot it. It was only when I was reviewing my images from this shoot that I realized that I had my image for "Gravity."
The message of the image:  The message of this image, for me, stresses on America's need to recycle. Only a small percentage of our population recycle, and we need to make that percentage grow. Think about a piece of paper... You have it in your hand, and you are finished with it. What are you going to do? Are you going to save it, take it to a recycling center and dispose of it, or are you going to just simply throw it in a trash bin - that is located on every corner of the city? You are probably going to throw that piece of paper in a trash bin because it is more convenient for you. This county needs to make it just as convenient to throw a piece of paper, or a pop can, or a piece of cardboard into a recycling bin as throwing those same items into a trash bin. This is what this image represents. I hope you enjoy this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment